Collections & Services
Do you have a personal connection to the Boothbay region? Are you intrigued by historical maps and photographs? The society maintains collections of primary and secondary reference materials to help visitors research their fields of interest. Whether you wish to casually browse our files or would like to request research assistance, we are here to help.
The towns of Boothbay, Boothbay Harbor, and Southport are the principal areas represented in the BRHS collections.
- Photographs: More than 15,000 images, including negatives, prints, scans, glass plates, and photographic postcards. Many of these images are available for sale as reprints.
- Newspapers: Thirteen feet of local newspapers dating from 1876 to the present.
- History files: More than 4,500 items arranged by more than 200 topics.
- Family files: Obituaries, genealogies, correspondence, news clippings pertaining to numerous local families.
- Special collections: Account books, day books, logs, ledgers, diaries, and family albums dating from the 1750s to the mid-1900s.
- Document boxes: Discrete, fairly large collections of information on families, businesses, schools, cultural organizations, and similar.
- Oral history: Video and audio interviews with area residents.
- Maps, surveys, nautical charts, vessel plans.
- Boothbay and Boothbay Harbor: Town reports, vital records, and valuation records.
- Books and periodicals: Generally secondary sources of historical information related to the region.
- Yearbooks: Boothbay region high schools, 1934-1992.
Copies: Photocopies of documents or photographs are available for a modest fee, based on number of copies and staff time. Please contact us for information on photo reprints.
Simple research inquires: For general inquiries, we suggest sending us a short email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Q. Do you have any information on WWII Navy minesweepers built in the Boothbay region? We will reply with a brief overview of our holdings.
Research inquiry form: The inquiry form may be filled out and returned by mail, along with a self-addressed envelope and a donation of $5.00 to cover postage and staff time. We will contact you by email or phone to review initial findings.
RESEARCH INQUIRY FORM
Extensive research: More extensive research may be performed by a local historian for a fee of $25 per hour. Please contact us for more information on this service.